I work as an IT consultant, and my job involves quite a lot of travel; I often end up leaving early and getting home late; I think on average I only spend a couple of hours with the girls during a given weeknight. It is a completely new experience for me to spend a whole week being a stay at home dad.
So here are a 10 things that I have learnt in the last week:
- When you have two young children, it is virtually impossible to get anything done in the day without having your partner watch the children for you!
- Both children seem to have the ability to make a complete mess of any room in a ridiculously small amount of time, but seemingly lack the capacity to tidy it afterwards!
- CBeebies is repeated on a four hour loop, whereas Justin Fletcher is seemingly on a thirty minute loop!
- Lottie, is really quick, really determined, really motivated and really persistent.... thank goodness we have a play pen, or as we call it... "Baby Prison"!!
- Working until 1am every night and then getting up at 6:30 to see to the kids is not sustainable!
- Patience is a virtue!
- Spending all day talking to children can make your brain stop working properly!
- Accepting that you are not going to get anything done, and then dedicating your whole day to playing with the kids is really rewarding!
- My wife is amazing to be a full time stay at home parent to our girls, I don't know how she does it, I am knackered after just one week!
- My girls are Awesome!!!!!
I think it's fair to say that this last week has been a lot tougher than I had anticipated, particularly as I was looking after the children, running around after Kimberley and trying to keep on top of the housework; not to mention that I naively agreed to squeeze in three days worth of work, which I achieved, albeit during unconventional working hours.
On reflection, I have a new found respect for Kimberley for being a stay at home parent, I definitely don't think I am cut out for it. Don't get me wrong, I have had fun and really bonded with the girls, but I am exhausted and ready to go back to work to have my brain taxed and converse with some adults for a change!
PS. whilst I have your attention, here is a shameless plug for my last post.